As your elected bargaining team, we have been discussing the best way forward for UC Postdocs as our contract is set to expire on September 30, 2020. Given the great uncertainties created by the massive health and economic crisis of COVID-19, we have voted to support a one-year contract extension until September 30, 2021. UC is also in agreement with this proposal. The next step is for all Postdocs to vote on this proposal, which will happen in an online vote from May 9-14. We strongly recommend a “Yes” vote. You can read the contract extension proposal here.
In the context of COVID-19, this contract extension has many advantages:
- All pay increases will continue as before (including experience-based pay and NIH scale increases);
- Health care costs for Postdocs will remain among the lowest of UC employees — the Postdoc share of HMO premiums will remain at 2% or 3%, and PPO plan costs ($20-60/month) will remain unchanged;
- Strong rights and protections in our contract (job security, guarantees against unfair layoff and termination, health and safety protections, and much more) will be maintained without any concessions;
- Our union and UC will create a Joint Committee to discuss a childcare reimbursement program and expanding paid family leave; and
- We will have the opportunity to reassess in one year as to whether conditions are more favorable for bargaining with UC.
Ratification Vote Details: The vote will start Saturday, May 9 and end on Thursday, May 14. A link to vote will be sent out to all Postdocs on Saturday morning. We are also planning to hold Q&A sessions on Friday, May 8 at 1:30-2:30 and Monday, May 11 from Noon-1pm. See here for log-in info for the Q&A sessions.
Postdoc Bargaining Team
Anke Schennink, UC Davis
Neal Sweeney, UC Santa Cruz
Lydia Majure, UC Berkeley
Amanda McLaughlin, UC Berkeley
Charisse Winston, UC San Diego
Alex Blacutt, UC Riverside
Stephany Chacon, LBL