UAW 5810 submitted a public comment to the NSF regarding their revised Sexual Harassment Policy. The proposed policy gives the NSF the ability to protect the safety of grant personnel [Read More…]
Gender inequity – the fact that women academics, and especially those with children, are paid less, have less job security, face sexual harassment at a dramatically higher rate, and ultimately decide to leave the academy with much greater frequency than their male counterparts, is an issue of the gravest importance at UC and throughout academia. From taking a lead role in calling out the university’s failure to address the sexual harassment crisis at UC, to aggressively pursuing workplace gender discrimination grievances, to winning Paid Parental Leave in our new contract, UC Postdocs have made gender equity a core mission of our union’s efforts.
- Non-Discrimination Protections and Paid Parental Leave for all Postdocs
With our new contract, Postdocs have increased mechanisms in place to prevent sexual harassment, strong protections for survivors, and we are now the only public university in the country with paid parental leave for all Postdocs.
- UC Postdoc Video Testimonials
Watch testimonials by Postdocs from across UC on the importance of gender equity in academia.
- UAW 5810 Week of Action Against Sexual Harassment at UC
In the spring of 2016, UAW 5810 hosted a week of teach-ins, lectures, and direct actions against Sexual Harassment at UC
- Parental Leave Rights
UAW 5810 Know Your Rights Guide for taking parental leave.
- Leaves Article of the Contract
Article of the Postdoc Union contract that covers parental leave and all other forms of leave.
- Non-Discrimination Article of the Contract
Article of the Postdoc Union contract that covers all forms of discrimination including sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination.
- Equal Rights Advocates
California based law firm dedicated to fighting for Women’s Equality.
- UAW 5810 Public Comment on NSF’s Proposed Changes to Sexual Harassment Policy
- UAW 5810 Comments on UC Sexual Harassment and Violence Policy
- UAW 5810 Letter to Janet Napolitano
- UAW Comments on UC Joint Committee Report
- Editorial: She Wanted to Do Her Research. He Wanted to Talk ‘Feelings.’ by A. Hope Jahren (NY Times)
- The Baby Penalty by Mary Ann Mason (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Short-Term Appointments Make UC Postdocs Vulnerable to Sexual Harassment by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Medium)
- Guest Post: UC Postdocs Demand Paid Parental Leave by 5810 Trustee Lydia Majure (Tenure She Wrote)
- UC Must Prioritize Prevention and Protection in its Sexual Harassment Policy by 5810 Trustee Carlena Ebben Eaton (Huffington Post)
- UC Must Make Good on Commitment to Fix Gender Equity Policies by 5810 Vice President Neal Sweeney (Huffington Post)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Medium)
- On Sexual Harassment, NIH Needs Tools To Make Things Better, Not More Compliance Regulations by Janet D. Stemwedel (Forbes)
- Postdoctoral Union Hosts Teach-ins on Sexual Harassment by Adam Iscoe (The Daily Cal)
- UC Must Have Zero Tolerance for Sexual Harassment by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Sacramento Bee)
- A push for stronger sexual harassment policies at the University of California by Beryl Lieff Benderly (Science )
- UCLA Community Protests Professor’s Punishment for Sex Harassment by Teresa Watanabe (LA Times)
- Sexual Harassment Cases Tarnish Berkeley’s Image as a Center of Social Activism by Thomas Fuller (NY Times)
- California Legislature Women’s Caucus Letter to Janet Napolitano (3/4/2016)
This year clearly showed why it’s so important that Postdocs are unionized. As the attacks from the new Administration rolled in—some expected, like proposed cuts to federal research funding, and [Read More…]
Together with representatives from Indivisible East Bay, the Alameda Labor Council, and Move to Amend, UC Postdocs met with Sen. Kamala Harris’ state director Julie Chavez Rodriguez and district director [Read More…]
Postdoc delegation representatives met with staff from Rep. Jackie Speier’s office. Rep. Speier is committed to defending workplace protections like Title IX, and has also pledged to support funding agencies [Read More…]
One week after the March for Science, Postdocs once again demonstrated our determination to fight for a more just world by attending the People’s Climate Marches on Saturday, April 29th, [Read More…]
On April 22, UAW 5810 led delegations of hundreds of UC researchers up and down the state at local Marches for Science. Postdocs and other researchers joined the tens of [Read More…]
An op-ed written by Postdoc Union President Anke Schennink was published in Nature today! The op-ed lays out how the organizing tactics we utilized in our recent contract negotiations – [Read More…]
In this, our first issue of our new quarterly Postdoc Union newsletter, we’ll be sharing updates from across the state about what our union has been working on and how [Read More…]
This morning Congresswoman Jackie Speier delivered a letter to UC President Janet Napolitano supporting our demand for increased paid parental leave that meets or exceeds the NIH/NSF standard. To improve [Read More…]
Last week UC postdocs received a powerful assist in our contract negotiations from a majority of California’s Congressional delegation! We extend a huge thank you to Congressman Ted Lieu, who [Read More…]