UCI postdocs paid a visit to Vice-Provost-Dean Leslie’s office today to demand that UC prioritizes gender equity. [Read More…]
Gender inequity – the fact that women academics, and especially those with children, are paid less, have less job security, face sexual harassment at a dramatically higher rate, and ultimately decide to leave the academy with much greater frequency than their male counterparts, is an issue of the gravest importance at UC and throughout academia. From taking a lead role in calling out the university’s failure to address the sexual harassment crisis at UC, to aggressively pursuing workplace gender discrimination grievances, to winning Paid Parental Leave in our new contract, UC Postdocs have made gender equity a core mission of our union’s efforts.
- Non-Discrimination Protections and Paid Parental Leave for all Postdocs
With our new contract, Postdocs have increased mechanisms in place to prevent sexual harassment, strong protections for survivors, and we are now the only public university in the country with paid parental leave for all Postdocs.
- UC Postdoc Video Testimonials
Watch testimonials by Postdocs from across UC on the importance of gender equity in academia.
- UAW 5810 Week of Action Against Sexual Harassment at UC
In the spring of 2016, UAW 5810 hosted a week of teach-ins, lectures, and direct actions against Sexual Harassment at UC
- Parental Leave Rights
UAW 5810 Know Your Rights Guide for taking parental leave.
- Leaves Article of the Contract
Article of the Postdoc Union contract that covers parental leave and all other forms of leave.
- Non-Discrimination Article of the Contract
Article of the Postdoc Union contract that covers all forms of discrimination including sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination.
- Equal Rights Advocates
California based law firm dedicated to fighting for Women’s Equality.
- UAW 5810 Comments on UC Sexual Harassment and Violence Policy
- UAW 5810 Letter to Janet Napolitano
- UAW Comments on UC Joint Committee Report
- Editorial: She Wanted to Do Her Research. He Wanted to Talk ‘Feelings.’ by A. Hope Jahren (NY Times)
- The Baby Penalty by Mary Ann Mason (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Short-Term Appointments Make UC Postdocs Vulnerable to Sexual Harassment by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Medium)
- Guest Post: UC Postdocs Demand Paid Parental Leave by 5810 Trustee Lydia Majure (Tenure She Wrote)
- UC Must Prioritize Prevention and Protection in its Sexual Harassment Policy by 5810 Trustee Carlena Ebben Eaton (Huffington Post)
- UC Must Make Good on Commitment to Fix Gender Equity Policies by 5810 Vice President Neal Sweeney (Huffington Post)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Medium)
- On Sexual Harassment, NIH Needs Tools To Make Things Better, Not More Compliance Regulations by Janet D. Stemwedel (Forbes)
- Postdoctoral Union Hosts Teach-ins on Sexual Harassment by Adam Iscoe (The Daily Cal)
- UC Must Have Zero Tolerance for Sexual Harassment by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Sacramento Bee)
- A push for stronger sexual harassment policies at the University of California by Beryl Lieff Benderly (Science )
- UCLA Community Protests Professor’s Punishment for Sex Harassment by Teresa Watanabe (LA Times)
- Sexual Harassment Cases Tarnish Berkeley’s Image as a Center of Social Activism by Thomas Fuller (NY Times)
- California Legislature Women’s Caucus Letter to Janet Napolitano (3/4/2016)
On July 7, UCLA postdocs marched to the Grad Dean’s office to demand the NIH standard of 8 weeks of parental leave at full pay. UC’s bargaining team kicked off [Read More…]
“UC’s lack of commitment to improving gender equity in the academy is evident not just in the superficial nature of its rhetoric, but also in its failure to act on its stated goals.” [Read More…]
UCSB postdocs marched to Cheadle Hall – the main administrative building – to voice our demands for gender equity, paid parental leave, and better sexual harassment policies. [Read More…]
Today at UCLA, Postdocs, our children, and even our grandparents marched to the Grad Dean’s office to demand Gender Equity at UC including [Read More…]
30 postdocs gathered to march over to the Chancellor’s Office to deliver a letter about our gender equity demands. Upon arriving, [Read More…]
Many UCSD postdocs (and some children) gather outside bargaining room to support the postdoc bargaining team The highlight of this Thursday and Friday’s bargaining session was a great showing from [Read More…]
We’re fighting to win a contract that reflects the value of Postdoc contributions to UC’s research mission. Better working conditions produce better research. That’s why UC must adopt policies that [Read More…]
We are writing to announce the formation of a sexual harassment and gender equity working group at UC Berkeley. All those who are interested in addressing these issues and changing [Read More…]
Part of what we won in bargaining last year was an agreement with the UC to have a Joint Union-University Family Friendly Committee (FFC). This committee is charged with making [Read More…]