On January 10, members of the UAW 5810 Executive Board met with UC President Janet Napolitano. Among the topics we discussed at the meeting was promoting gender equity in academia [Read More…]
Gender inequity – the fact that women academics, and especially those with children, are paid less, have less job security, face sexual harassment at a dramatically higher rate, and ultimately decide to leave the academy with much greater frequency than their male counterparts, is an issue of the gravest importance at UC and throughout academia. From taking a lead role in calling out the university’s failure to address the sexual harassment crisis at UC, to aggressively pursuing workplace gender discrimination grievances, to winning Paid Parental Leave in our new contract, UC Postdocs have made gender equity a core mission of our union’s efforts.
- Non-Discrimination Protections and Paid Parental Leave for all Postdocs
With our new contract, Postdocs have increased mechanisms in place to prevent sexual harassment, strong protections for survivors, and we are now the only public university in the country with paid parental leave for all Postdocs.
- UC Postdoc Video Testimonials
Watch testimonials by Postdocs from across UC on the importance of gender equity in academia.
- UAW 5810 Week of Action Against Sexual Harassment at UC
In the spring of 2016, UAW 5810 hosted a week of teach-ins, lectures, and direct actions against Sexual Harassment at UC
- Parental Leave Rights
UAW 5810 Know Your Rights Guide for taking parental leave.
- Leaves Article of the Contract
Article of the Postdoc Union contract that covers parental leave and all other forms of leave.
- Non-Discrimination Article of the Contract
Article of the Postdoc Union contract that covers all forms of discrimination including sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination.
- Equal Rights Advocates
California based law firm dedicated to fighting for Women’s Equality.
- International Union UAW’s Public Comments, on behalf of UAW Higher Ed Unions, in opposition the Betsy Devos’s proposed changes to Title IX
- UAW 5810 Comment on Draft Changes to the UC Presidential Policy on Sexual Harassment and
- UAW 5810 Public Comment on NSF’s Proposed Changes to Sexual Harassment Policy
- UAW 5810 Comments on UC Sexual Harassment and Violence Policy
- UAW 5810 Letter to Janet Napolitano
- UAW Comments on UC Joint Committee Report
- Editorial: She Wanted to Do Her Research. He Wanted to Talk ‘Feelings.’ by A. Hope Jahren (NY Times)
- The Baby Penalty by Mary Ann Mason (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Short-Term Appointments Make UC Postdocs Vulnerable to Sexual Harassment by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Medium)
- Guest Post: UC Postdocs Demand Paid Parental Leave by 5810 Trustee Lydia Majure (Tenure She Wrote)
- UC Must Prioritize Prevention and Protection in its Sexual Harassment Policy by 5810 Trustee Carlena Ebben Eaton (Huffington Post)
- UC Must Make Good on Commitment to Fix Gender Equity Policies by 5810 Vice President Neal Sweeney (Huffington Post)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Medium)
- On Sexual Harassment, NIH Needs Tools To Make Things Better, Not More Compliance Regulations by Janet D. Stemwedel (Forbes)
- Postdoctoral Union Hosts Teach-ins on Sexual Harassment by Adam Iscoe (The Daily Cal)
- UC Must Have Zero Tolerance for Sexual Harassment by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Sacramento Bee)
- A push for stronger sexual harassment policies at the University of California by Beryl Lieff Benderly (Science )
- UCLA Community Protests Professor’s Punishment for Sex Harassment by Teresa Watanabe (LA Times)
- Sexual Harassment Cases Tarnish Berkeley’s Image as a Center of Social Activism by Thomas Fuller (NY Times)
- California Legislature Women’s Caucus Letter to Janet Napolitano (3/4/2016)
Due to an overwhelming need to improve many issues impacting work/life balance including childcare access and affordability, the Postdoc Union at UCSF is organizing a childcare panel on Thursday, August [Read More…]
We’re proud to add our voice to a powerful coalition calling on state leaders to invest in child care and early learning. Over a billion has been cut from children’s [Read More…]
The New York Times has a piece on a study out of Yale that lays bare the discrimination that still exists against women in the academy. This new data is [Read More…]
As the union that represents postdocs, part of our job is listening to our members and understanding what benefits are most valuable – and then working to improve those benefits. [Read More…]
Dear Postdoc, We are a group of postdocs who are parents and are getting increasingly active in the postdoc union to make the UC a more family-friendly institution and to [Read More…]