Postdoc Union members at our statewide membership meeting in October. 2018 was a big year for our union — starting salaries went up by over $2500, we successfully enforced our [Read More…]
UC Researchers, Scientists, Postdocs & Faculty make critical contributions to scientific research and have a unique perspective in defending the important role science plays in our universities, communities and across our world.
We believe facts matter and science must not be taken for granted. Our research protects our air and water, fights climate change, pioneers medical breakthroughs, creates new industries and safeguards our future.
The Trump Administration has ushered in a new era of government – one where our research has been ideologically and economically devalued and evidence-based science is under attack.
Read more below about the front-line role our union has played in advocating on behalf of all researchers:
- Tell Congress: Support UC Researcher Principles
Sign our majority letter calling on Congress to acknowledge the critical role that science and humanities research plays in our society
- Standing Up for Science in the Age of Trump by Congressmember Salud Carbajal (Santa Barbara Independent, 9/4/2017)
- Unionized Scientists March in Protest of Attacks on Facts by 5810 Financial Secretary Carly Ebben-Eaton and Retired EPA Employee Kathy Seitan (SF Chronicle, 4/11/2017)
- Securing Workplace Rights in the Age of Trump by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Nature, 4/5/2017)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research (Medium, 5/30/2016)
- Fair Pay for Postdocs: Why We Support New Federal Overtime Rules (Huffington Post, 5/17/2016)
- UC Postdocs are Worth $50K (and Then Some…) (Huffington Post, 5/12/2016)
- Funding Cuts Leave Wounds in Research (Daily Cal, 1/27/2014)
- Postdoc payday: Salaries for Fellows are on the Up (New Scientist, 5/28/2013)
- The Fiscal Cliff Casualties You Won’t See (Huffington Post, 12/12/2012)
- Super Committee Fail Jeopardizes Science Research (Huffington Post, 12/1/2011)
- House Committee Questions University of California’s Accounting for Research Funds (Science Careers, 6/28/2010)
Read The UAW’s Position on Federal Research Funding:
“Federal funding enables universities to perform path-breaking research. It is critical for the future of the U.S. economy, because it provides core support for innovation in fields such as the medical and life sciences, energy use, new technologies, environmental protection, transportation and many others. The resulting innovations can create thousands of jobs.
Federal funding provides salaries and benefits for those who perform this research, including student employees and postdoctoral researchers. It also provides the equipment, materials and training necessary for them to perform their work. The Obama administration and Congress should increase federal funding for existing research and for the basic science that forms the foundation for future research. This is necessary to preserve the leading role our research universities play in innovation and their preeminent role internationally.”
Read More about UAW’s position on Supporting better federal funding for scientific research.
Read these letters from UAW 5810 and other UAW Academic Worker locals supporting federal legislation to increase science funding:
The NIH just announced a raise in the Ruth Kirschstein NRSA scale, which means the UC Postdoc minimum salary scale also increases by about 3%! Who does this affect and [Read More…]
This year clearly showed why it’s so important that Postdocs are unionized. As the attacks from the new Administration rolled in—some expected, like proposed cuts to federal research funding, and [Read More…]
“Today, Congress voted to approve a final tax plan that did not contain a tax on tuition waivers, which was included in the House’s first version of the bill. This [Read More…]
Together with representatives from Indivisible East Bay, the Alameda Labor Council, and Move to Amend, UC Postdocs met with Sen. Kamala Harris’ state director Julie Chavez Rodriguez and district director [Read More…]
UCD Medical Center Postdocs met with Congresswoman Doris Matsui’s District Director, Sam Stefanki, to talk about research funding, visa and immigration issues, equity in academia, and the current tax proposal. [Read More…]
Today, on university campuses throughout the country, graduate students and their allies rallied in protest of the Republicans’ tax reform bill. Under this proposed bill, graduate students would owe taxes [Read More…]
Postdoc delegation representatives met with staff from Rep. Jackie Speier’s office. Rep. Speier is committed to defending workplace protections like Title IX, and has also pledged to support funding agencies [Read More…]
We’re demanding that members of Congress prioritize research in the 2018 budget, and delivered a petition signed by thousands of researchers to make sure our voices are heard! UC Irvine [Read More…]
Uncertainty around immigration policies and anti-Muslim sentiments have a major impact on our research. We discussed the impacts of Trump’s racist, misguided policies in our meeting with staff representatives from [Read More…]