Last week UCSC Postdocs got together for a social at the Santa Cruz wharf, and discussed the importance of science funding, postdoc life at UCSC, and fun things to do [Read More…]
UC Researchers, Scientists, Postdocs & Faculty make critical contributions to scientific research and have a unique perspective in defending the important role science plays in our universities, communities and across our world.
We believe facts matter and science must not be taken for granted. Our research protects our air and water, fights climate change, pioneers medical breakthroughs, creates new industries and safeguards our future.
The Trump Administration has ushered in a new era of government – one where our research has been ideologically and economically devalued and evidence-based science is under attack.
Read more below about the front-line role our union has played in advocating on behalf of all researchers:
- Tell Congress: Support UC Researcher Principles
Sign our majority letter calling on Congress to acknowledge the critical role that science and humanities research plays in our society
- Standing Up for Science in the Age of Trump by Congressmember Salud Carbajal (Santa Barbara Independent, 9/4/2017)
- Unionized Scientists March in Protest of Attacks on Facts by 5810 Financial Secretary Carly Ebben-Eaton and Retired EPA Employee Kathy Seitan (SF Chronicle, 4/11/2017)
- Securing Workplace Rights in the Age of Trump by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Nature, 4/5/2017)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research (Medium, 5/30/2016)
- Fair Pay for Postdocs: Why We Support New Federal Overtime Rules (Huffington Post, 5/17/2016)
- UC Postdocs are Worth $50K (and Then Some…) (Huffington Post, 5/12/2016)
- Funding Cuts Leave Wounds in Research (Daily Cal, 1/27/2014)
- Postdoc payday: Salaries for Fellows are on the Up (New Scientist, 5/28/2013)
- The Fiscal Cliff Casualties You Won’t See (Huffington Post, 12/12/2012)
- Super Committee Fail Jeopardizes Science Research (Huffington Post, 12/1/2011)
- House Committee Questions University of California’s Accounting for Research Funds (Science Careers, 6/28/2010)
Read The UAW’s Position on Federal Research Funding:
“Federal funding enables universities to perform path-breaking research. It is critical for the future of the U.S. economy, because it provides core support for innovation in fields such as the medical and life sciences, energy use, new technologies, environmental protection, transportation and many others. The resulting innovations can create thousands of jobs.
Federal funding provides salaries and benefits for those who perform this research, including student employees and postdoctoral researchers. It also provides the equipment, materials and training necessary for them to perform their work. The Obama administration and Congress should increase federal funding for existing research and for the basic science that forms the foundation for future research. This is necessary to preserve the leading role our research universities play in innovation and their preeminent role internationally.”
Read More about UAW’s position on Supporting better federal funding for scientific research.
Read these letters from UAW 5810 and other UAW Academic Worker locals supporting federal legislation to increase science funding:
Earlier today, Postdocs from Berkeley and LBL had a very productive meeting with Rep. Mark DeSaulnier. Congressman De Saulnier was very supportive of our positions on research funding and immigration [Read More…]
Welcome to the next edition of our quarterly newsletter! From last month’s Science March to our latest Op-Eds in Nature and the SF Chronicle, we are excited to share all [Read More…]
One week after the March for Science, Postdocs once again demonstrated our determination to fight for a more just world by attending the People’s Climate Marches on Saturday, April 29th, [Read More…]
On April 22, UAW 5810 led delegations of hundreds of UC researchers up and down the state at local Marches for Science. Postdocs and other researchers joined the tens of [Read More…]
We are proud to announce another exciting publication for the Postdoc Union! Today a joint op-ed by Carly Ebben Eaton, UAW 5810 Financial Secretary and climate scientist, and Kathy Setian, [Read More…]
An op-ed written by Postdoc Union President Anke Schennink was published in Nature today! The op-ed lays out how the organizing tactics we utilized in our recent contract negotiations – [Read More…]
Today, UCSB Postdocs had a great meeting with Congressman Salud Carbajal. We delivered our open letter in response to the Trump administration’s immigration orders, and discussed issues of great importance [Read More…]
As part of of a coalition of of over 100 individuals from organized labor in California, Postdoc union leaders Fernanda Santos from Merced and Will Kelly from Davis met with [Read More…]
We were deeply moved and empowered last weekend by the massive turnout for the Women’s marches that took place across the country. Up and down California, UC Postdocs joined with [Read More…]