In this, our first issue of our new quarterly Postdoc Union newsletter, we’ll be sharing updates from across the state about what our union has been working on and how [Read More…]
UC Researchers, Scientists, Postdocs & Faculty make critical contributions to scientific research and have a unique perspective in defending the important role science plays in our universities, communities and across our world.
We believe facts matter and science must not be taken for granted. Our research protects our air and water, fights climate change, pioneers medical breakthroughs, creates new industries and safeguards our future.
The Trump Administration has ushered in a new era of government – one where our research has been ideologically and economically devalued and evidence-based science is under attack.
Read more below about the front-line role our union has played in advocating on behalf of all researchers:
- Tell Congress: Support UC Researcher Principles
Sign our majority letter calling on Congress to acknowledge the critical role that science and humanities research plays in our society
- Standing Up for Science in the Age of Trump by Congressmember Salud Carbajal (Santa Barbara Independent, 9/4/2017)
- Unionized Scientists March in Protest of Attacks on Facts by 5810 Financial Secretary Carly Ebben-Eaton and Retired EPA Employee Kathy Seitan (SF Chronicle, 4/11/2017)
- Securing Workplace Rights in the Age of Trump by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Nature, 4/5/2017)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research (Medium, 5/30/2016)
- Fair Pay for Postdocs: Why We Support New Federal Overtime Rules (Huffington Post, 5/17/2016)
- UC Postdocs are Worth $50K (and Then Some…) (Huffington Post, 5/12/2016)
- Funding Cuts Leave Wounds in Research (Daily Cal, 1/27/2014)
- Postdoc payday: Salaries for Fellows are on the Up (New Scientist, 5/28/2013)
- The Fiscal Cliff Casualties You Won’t See (Huffington Post, 12/12/2012)
- Super Committee Fail Jeopardizes Science Research (Huffington Post, 12/1/2011)
- House Committee Questions University of California’s Accounting for Research Funds (Science Careers, 6/28/2010)
Read The UAW’s Position on Federal Research Funding:
“Federal funding enables universities to perform path-breaking research. It is critical for the future of the U.S. economy, because it provides core support for innovation in fields such as the medical and life sciences, energy use, new technologies, environmental protection, transportation and many others. The resulting innovations can create thousands of jobs.
Federal funding provides salaries and benefits for those who perform this research, including student employees and postdoctoral researchers. It also provides the equipment, materials and training necessary for them to perform their work. The Obama administration and Congress should increase federal funding for existing research and for the basic science that forms the foundation for future research. This is necessary to preserve the leading role our research universities play in innovation and their preeminent role internationally.”
Read More about UAW’s position on Supporting better federal funding for scientific research.
Read these letters from UAW 5810 and other UAW Academic Worker locals supporting federal legislation to increase science funding:
At this point you are all likely aware of the results of yesterday’s election. At the state level, there were a number of successes including a majority of our endorsed [Read More…]
This morning Congresswoman Jackie Speier delivered a letter to UC President Janet Napolitano supporting our demand for increased paid parental leave that meets or exceeds the NIH/NSF standard. To improve [Read More…]
Last week UC postdocs received a powerful assist in our contract negotiations from a majority of California’s Congressional delegation! We extend a huge thank you to Congressman Ted Lieu, who [Read More…]
On Thursday and Friday, we were bargaining at UC Irvine. The good news: our solidarity and actions are having an effect. After 2.5 months, UC finally responded to our proposal [Read More…]
Check out this great Nature Article outlining the improvements won in our new contract. Read the full piece below, a PDF version here, or log on to the Nature website. [Read More…]
Great news! For the fifth year in a row, UC postdocs will see an increase in their base rate stipends, all due to our contract. Last year a group of [Read More…]
In October, Indian Researchers won a major 60% increase in their stipends after months of collective action. Read this ScienceInsider Article about their success! Indian research scholars welcome big bonanza [Read More…]
Check out this important read over at eLife: a Point of View article on how postdocs benefit from building a union. Authors Benjamin Cain, Jessica M Budke, Kelsey J Wood, [Read More…]