Dear PRO/UAW Postdocs, Many of you have seen and rasied concerns about President Yudof’s message of June 17 announcing that he will ask the Regents to declare a Fiscal Emergency [Read More…]
UC Researchers, Scientists, Postdocs & Faculty make critical contributions to scientific research and have a unique perspective in defending the important role science plays in our universities, communities and across our world.
We believe facts matter and science must not be taken for granted. Our research protects our air and water, fights climate change, pioneers medical breakthroughs, creates new industries and safeguards our future.
The Trump Administration has ushered in a new era of government – one where our research has been ideologically and economically devalued and evidence-based science is under attack.
Read more below about the front-line role our union has played in advocating on behalf of all researchers:
- Tell Congress: Support UC Researcher Principles
Sign our majority letter calling on Congress to acknowledge the critical role that science and humanities research plays in our society
- Standing Up for Science in the Age of Trump by Congressmember Salud Carbajal (Santa Barbara Independent, 9/4/2017)
- Unionized Scientists March in Protest of Attacks on Facts by 5810 Financial Secretary Carly Ebben-Eaton and Retired EPA Employee Kathy Seitan (SF Chronicle, 4/11/2017)
- Securing Workplace Rights in the Age of Trump by 5810 President Anke Schennink (Nature, 4/5/2017)
- UC’s Opportunity to Shape the Future of Scientific Research (Medium, 5/30/2016)
- Fair Pay for Postdocs: Why We Support New Federal Overtime Rules (Huffington Post, 5/17/2016)
- UC Postdocs are Worth $50K (and Then Some…) (Huffington Post, 5/12/2016)
- Funding Cuts Leave Wounds in Research (Daily Cal, 1/27/2014)
- Postdoc payday: Salaries for Fellows are on the Up (New Scientist, 5/28/2013)
- The Fiscal Cliff Casualties You Won’t See (Huffington Post, 12/12/2012)
- Super Committee Fail Jeopardizes Science Research (Huffington Post, 12/1/2011)
- House Committee Questions University of California’s Accounting for Research Funds (Science Careers, 6/28/2010)
Read The UAW’s Position on Federal Research Funding:
“Federal funding enables universities to perform path-breaking research. It is critical for the future of the U.S. economy, because it provides core support for innovation in fields such as the medical and life sciences, energy use, new technologies, environmental protection, transportation and many others. The resulting innovations can create thousands of jobs.
Federal funding provides salaries and benefits for those who perform this research, including student employees and postdoctoral researchers. It also provides the equipment, materials and training necessary for them to perform their work. The Obama administration and Congress should increase federal funding for existing research and for the basic science that forms the foundation for future research. This is necessary to preserve the leading role our research universities play in innovation and their preeminent role internationally.”
Read More about UAW’s position on Supporting better federal funding for scientific research.
Read these letters from UAW 5810 and other UAW Academic Worker locals supporting federal legislation to increase science funding: