Please join us for our postdoc social organized by the postdoc union this Friday, February 12 from 7-9pm, at The Mercury Lounge on Hollister Ave in Old Town, Goleta. Partners are welcome too! The Merc serves wine, beer, and non-alcoholic beverages. Right next door is pho restaurant Noodle City.
This gathering is a great way to meet your fellows postdocs as well as share answers and suggestions for living in Santa Barbara. For example:
– Which local dentist do UCSB postdocs recommend?
– What are good locations around Santa Barbara for a day activity with my toddler-aged children?
– What are the pros and cons regarding different child care centers in Santa Barbara?
– What is the best vegetarian restaurant in SB?
– What conference travel grants are available for postdocs?
– Where you can get the best tacos in town?
– Which hiking trails are recommended?
Bus information from campus: catch the number 11 bus at the Elings traffic circle heading towards Downtown SB Transit Center, get off at the Old Town, Goleta stop in front of the Old Town Antiques (across from 7/11). Walk back one block on the same side of the street to the Merc. Fare is $1.75.
Rides: Aviva, our organizer, has space for 3-4 people in her car. If you need a ride to the Merc, she will be at the Elings traffic circle at 6:40pm to pick people up. Please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or text her at 805-328-4823 to let her know you need a ride. Watch for the silver Toyota Echo.
Hope to see you there!
Your fellow UCSB postdocs:
Patrick Callahan, Materials
Christophe Hauser, Computer Science
Bhaswar Chakrabarti, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Wei Luo, Geography
Shirin Nili, Computer Science
Payam Rowghanian, Mechanical Engineering