UAW 2865/5810 Union Organizer Training Program
(posted December 7, 2020)
UAW 5810 and UAW 2865 (the Academic Student Employees union) are hiring temporary paid organizers to build union membership and participation in preparation for upcoming contract negotiations with UC. These are four-week positions at 15-20 hours per week (20 hours preferred), starting on Tuesday, January 19th.
Applicants should be passionate about social justice, detail oriented, committed to building union power, and willing to have conversations about the importance of union participation with academic workers from diverse backgrounds. No prior union experience is necessary.
This hands-on training program will include regular coaching by experienced union leaders. Organizers will learn how to:
- Conduct one-to-one organizing conversations over zoom and the phone, with a focus on building union capacity for mass collective actions
- Answer questions about benefits, rights, and protections in the union contract, and sign up new members in orientation meetings
- Identify and recruit new union leaders
- Utilize and maintain membership lists
In the midst of a global pandemic and threats of austerity, academic workers need to participate in their unions now more than ever. Apply to be a union organizer today! Send a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis, but no later than December 15, 2020. Organizers will receive a salary of $2,038.77 to $2,718.36 over four weeks depending on the number of hours per week.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA are all encouraged to apply. People who participate in this program may be considered for future organizer employment opportunities where needed.
(posted September 15, 2020)
UAW Local 5810 represents over 11,000 Postdoctoral Researchers and Academic Researchers (ARs) at University of California and Lawrence Berkeley Lab. It was chartered in 2008 as member led/member run union that through collective bargaining and organizing is committed to improve the working conditions and the lives of working people. Website: www.uaw5810.org
UAW 5810 is seeking dynamic individuals with experience in student, community or labor organizing to facilitate on the ground efforts of membership education, mobilization and outreach, leader recruitment and development, as well as contract enforcement. The successful applicant must be detail-oriented and an excellent communicator, quick learner and strategic thinker who understands power dynamics.
- Outreach to new members to inform them of contractual rights and benefits and the importance of union membership
- Mobilize workers to participate in collective action
- Identify, recruit, and train leaders
- Build and develop a strong steward network to facilitate organizing, engagement, and collective action
- Enforce and represent Postdoc and Academic Researcher interests and rights under the contract and beyond
- Organize around worker issues and concerns
- Coordinate and execute actions from conception to completion as needed, or in coordination with statewide efforts
- Manage lists, charts, and databases
- Work with a diverse immigrant workforce
*Additional duties as assigned
- Dedication and enthusiasm for the labor movement and social justice
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to frame issues and follow messaging in accordance to the union’s mission and principles
- Ability to work independently and take initiative on tasks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to respond to worker inquiries in a timely manner
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for reliable transportation
- Knowledge of common office software
- Available for periodic travel
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in labor organizing
- Experience with academic and/or public sector employment
- Familiarity with the research workplace
- Fluency in multiple languages
- *Women, people of color, and LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply.
Terms of employment: Competitive salary, health, dental, and vision coverage provided, paid personal time off as well as sick time
Positions are available:
Interested applicants should submit a resume/CV, three references, and a motivation letter to the hiring committee at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting October 16 until filled.