A. Labor-Management Meetings
- The University and UAW shall engage in University-wide Labor-Management meetings for the purpose of reviewing and devising ways to address on-going need of Postdoctoral Scholars for the mutual benefit of Postdoctoral Scholars and the University, and to make recommendations to appropriate University officials. The parties agree to meet, following the written request of either party, on a quarterly basis. The parties may agree to additional meetings.
- Each party shall designate a person to serve as Co-chair for the meetings. The Co-chairs shall work together to schedule the meeting times and locations, shall specify the agenda, and agree on the information and individuals necessary to conduct an informed meeting. Each party’s Co-chair will communicate any cost and/or burden associated with providing the requested information as soon as such cost/burden is known.
- Agenda items not specified at least seven (7) calendar days prior to the scheduled date of the meeting, need not be responded to at the meeting. Appropriate agenda items for Labor-Management meetings include:
- administration of the Agreement;
- dissemination of general information of interest to the parties;
- health and safety matters regarding bargaining unit employees;
- health care benefits matters of interest to the parties;
- professional development issues;
- leaves of absence
- issues of interest to international Postdoctoral Scholars;
- childcare issues; and
- extramural funding agencies guidelines pertaining to issues such as leaves applicable to postdoctoral scholars.
B. Release Time
- The UAW may designate up to four (4) Postdoctoral Scholars to attend each scheduled one-day Labor-Management meeting. The University shall not unreasonably deny these Postdoctoral Scholars release from work provided:
- the designated Postdoctoral Scholars provide at least seven (7) calendar days notice of the need to be absent from the work site;
- the designated Postdoctoral Scholars work with their supervisor to ensure completion of research requirements.
- The parties may agree to allow additional Postdoctoral Scholars to attend the meetings, provided the Postdoctoral Scholars comply with the provisions in §B.1., above.
- Any travel and subsistence incurred by the employee(s) attending the meeting(s) shall be the responsibility of the Postdoctoral Scholars or UAW.