A. University Holidays
The University shall observe the following days as administrative holidays:
- January 1st (New Year’s Day)
- Third Monday in January (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
- Third Monday in February, or announced equivalent (President’s Day)
- Last Friday in March or announced equivalent (Cesar Chavez Day)
- Last Monday in May (Memorial Day Observance)
- Fourth of July (Independence Day)
- First Monday in September (Labor Day)
- November 11th (Veterans’ Day)
- Fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day)
- Friday following Thanksgiving Day (or announced equivalent)
- December 24, or announced equivalent (Christmas Eve)
- December 25 (Christmas Day)
- December 31, or announced equivalent (New Year’s Eve)
Official holidays are those holidays as set forth annually in the campus calendar. Unless the University designates an alternate day, when a holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is observed as the holiday; and when a holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday is observed as the holiday.
B. Compensation for Holidays Worked
When operational needs require, the supervisor may schedule Postdoctoral Scholars to work on University holidays. In such instance(s), Postdoctoral Scholars shall receive an alternate day off for each holiday worked. The Postdoctoral Scholar may request specific dates to be used as alternate days off. The supervisor shall not unreasonably deny such requests.
C. Religious Observance
A Postdoctoral Scholar may observe special or religious holidays by using personal time off, as described in Article 17 or by working an alternate day, if the University determines that work schedules permit. The supervisor shall not unreasonably deny such requests.