A. General Provisions
A personnel file is the repository of information (including reports, documents, correspondence, and other materials pertaining to a Postdoctoral Scholar’s appointment with the University.
- Access to Personnel Files – The University shall identify the location(s) where a Postdoctoral Scholar or her/his designated representative, may obtain access to the Postdoctoral Scholar personnel file(s). In the Appointment Notification, the University shall designate a contact person who will identify the location and process for accessing the file.
- Information in the Files
- A Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file(s) contain information related to the individual’s appointment at the University, such as: the Postdoctoral Scholar’s proof of degree or transcript, Curriculum Vita, UC’s Appointment and Reappointment notices, information about the Postdoctoral Scholar’s pay and benefits, record of training, written annual reviews, discipline and dismissal actions, and other relevant or necessary information specified by the University.
- Copies of letters of disciplinary action, along with copies of proofs of service that accompany the letters, upon being provided to a Postdoctoral Scholar, shall be placed in the Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file(s). The Postdoctoral Scholar’s written comments, if any, regarding such letters shall be placed in his or her personnel file(s).
- Upon the Postdoctoral Scholar’s written request, counseling memoranda and/or written records of discussions will be removed from the Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file if there have been no other such memoranda relating to, or disciplinary action on, the same or similar issue(s) for a two-year period.
- Items placed in a Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file(s) shall contain the date of the document’s creation, and its source, and may contain the date on which the information was placed in the file.
- The Postdoctoral Scholar has the right to request that errors of fact in personnel records be corrected, and to make additions to personnel records.
B. Postdoctoral Scholar and/or Representative Review of Personnel File(s)
A Postdoctoral Scholar shall, upon written request to the University, have the opportunity to review his or her personnel file(s) in the presence of a representative of the University, within five (5) working days after the University received the request.
- Postdoctoral Scholar shall be granted a reasonable amount of time in withoutloss-of-straight-time pay status to review his or her personnel file(s). When granting such requests, the immediate supervisor shall take into account the frequency of such requests and the amount of time the Postdoctoral Scholar is or will be engaged in such activity and the impact on operational requirements.
- An individual of the Postdoctoral Scholar’s choice may accompany the Postdoctoral Scholar when the Postdoctoral Scholar is reviewing his or her personnel file(s).
- Alternatively, an individual Postdoctoral Scholar may authorize a designated representative to review the Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file(s) on the Postdoctoral Scholar’s behalf. Such written authorization shall be valid for the period designated by the individual but not to exceed the duration of the Postdoctoral Scholar’s appointment, or if no time period is designated, for a period of one (1) year from the date of the signature of the authorization. The UAW Representative shall present the signed and dated authorization when requesting access to a Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file.
C. Grievance-Related Files
Records involving the processing of a Postdoctoral Scholar’s grievance, such as the grievance form, step appeals/responses, and settlement documents, will be kept in a file separate from the Postdoctoral Scholars’ personnel file.
D. Duplication Costs
Postdoctoral Scholars and/or their representatives shall receive, without cost, a first copy of documents, or extracts thereof, that are located in his or her personnel file. However, Postdoctoral Scholars and/or their representatives may be charged ten cents (10¢) per page for additional copies of documents in the Postdoctoral Scholar’s personnel file.