A. The provisions of this Article apply to Postdoctoral Scholars to whom the University has made a written offer of employment, who have accepted such offer in writing, and who have complied with all requirements stipulated in that formal offer letter and any subsequent formal communications between the University and the incoming Postdoctoral Scholar. These requirements include satisfying work eligibility requirements for U.S. citizens and non-citizens, and the timely submission of all documents required by the University to process a request for work authorization.
B. The University will ensure that the Postdoctoral Scholar does not suffer a loss in pay due to the University’s failure to process work authorization paperwork if the University;
- fails to send necessary paperwork to the appropriate external agencies according to the University’s timelines, and
- there is a resulting delay in the effective date of the Postdoctoral Scholar’s start date.
C. The University and the UAW understand and agree that:
- the University shall not be held responsible for any actions, failures, errors, or decisions of the external agencies, and
- the University shall not be held responsible if the applicant is ineligible for work authorization, or if the applicant makes submission or omission errors; and
- informal communications between a UC faculty member and a potential Postdoctoral Scholar do not constitute a formal appointment offer.
- The provisions of this §B do not apply if the delay is the result of an emergency situation (e.g, an earthquake or flood).