The NIH has announced a raise in the Ruth Kirschstein NRSA scale, which means the LBL Postdoc minimum salary scale also increases by about 3%!
Who does this affect?
- For current Postdocs, if your salary is less than the appropriate (Life & Physical or Computational) scale, you are due an increase to the new scale retroactive to October 1, 2018.
- If you started since October 1, 2018, you are due an increase to at least the new scale retroactive to your start date.
- As always, there is nothing that prohibits LBL from increasing your salary above the minimum scale.
When will my salary increase?
- LBL will process all increases in January, so you will see increases in your February 1, 2019 paycheck. This paycheck will also include the back pay retroactive to October 1 or to your start date after October 1, whichever applies to you.
- If you leave your Postdoc position at the Lab between December 1, 2018 and January 30, 2019, please let us know as you may be due back pay.
If you have any questions about your salary, email us at email@example.com and we can help you check it out.
|LBL Postdoctoral Scholar Scales|
|Effective October 1, 2018|
|UC Appointment Step (Postdoc Experience at all institutions)||Life and Physical Sciences (NIH Plus 2 Steps)||Computational Science|
|0 (0 – 11 months)||$50,760||$70,419|
|1 (12 – 23 months)||$52,896||$73,142|
|2 (24 – 35 months)||$54,756||$76,020|
|3 (36 – 47 months)||$56,880||$78,939|
|4 (48 – 59 months)||$59,100||$78,939|
|5 (60 – 71 months) By exception||$61,308||$78,939|
Join the Union!
The UC Postdoc salary scale was won as a result of Postdocs joining the union and taking action, and this increase is another example of the collective power Postdocs have through our union to negotiate for improved working conditions. Membership is essential to protecting and improving these and other rights moving forward. More members means more power, so if you are not a Postdoc Union member yet, please do your part by signing up to be a member using this online form.