The NIH just announced a raise in the Ruth Kirschstein NRSA scale, which means the UC Postdoc minimum salary scale also increases by about 3%!
Who does this affect and when will my salary increase?
- For new Postdocs, the new minimum scale applies to all new appointments starting on or after December 1, 2018.
- For continuing Postdocs, the new scale will go into effect as you pass your anniversary date (the date you were first hired) or when you are being re-appointed, whichever comes first. For example, if you complete your first year of Postdoc experience on December 31, you will get at least a 7.5% salary increase (4.3% step and 3.2% scale increase) in January.
- If you make more than the minimum scale, on your next anniversary or reappointment date you will get at least a 2% increase.
- There is nothing that prohibits UC from increasing your salary above the scale or before your anniversary date.
- If you have any questions about your salary, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you review all details.
|New UC Postdoctoral Scholar Experience-Based Scale|
|Effective December 1, 2018|
|UC Appointment Step (Postdoc Experience at all institutions)||Minimum Salary/Stipend (NIH Plus 2 Steps)|
|0 (0 – 11 months)||$50,760|
|1 (12 – 23 months)||$52,896|
|2 (24-35 months)||$54,756|
|3 (36- 47 months)||$56,880|
|4 (48 – 59 months)||$59,100|
|5 (60-71 months) By exception||$61,308|
Join the Union!
The UC Postdoc salary scale was won as a result of Postdocs joining the union and taking action, and this increase is another example of the collective power Postdocs have through our union to negotiate for improved working conditions. Membership is also essential to protecting and improving these and other rights moving forward. More members means more power, so if you are not a Postdoc Union member yet, please do your part by signing up to be a member using this online form.