See Your Dues in Action Since UC Postdocs Formed a Union:
- Since the contract took effect in 2010, average UC Postdoc salary has risen by more than $10,000 (an increase of 25%);
- UC Postdoc compensation is the highest of any public university in the US.
- All Postdocs and dependents receive comprehensive UC-provided health benefits at a greatly lower cost than non-union UC faculty and staff plans;
- Medical and dental benefits have been improved including no-cost preventative care and contraception;
- 4 weeks of fully paid parental leave guaranteed for all Postdocs;
- Over $3 Million dollars recovered in pay and benefits through grievances.
Improved Rights at Work:
- Improved job security in the form of guaranteed minimum one-year initial appointments and minimum two-year reappointments;
- Strong protections against and remedies for instances of discrimination and sexual harassment via the grievance and arbitration procedure;
- Protections against arbitrary layoff;
- Protections from unsafe or hazardous working conditions.
A Stronger Voice
- Filed a declaration in US District Court and to the Supreme Court against Trump’s Anti-Muslim Travel Ban;
- Helped Postdocs at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab win collective bargaining rights and become members of the Postdoc Union;
- Fought for the inclusion of Postdocs in the new federal overtime regulations;
- Fought for the extension of Optional Practical Training (OPT) for recent graduates on F-1 visas
Membership dues make your union strong! Dues cover all of the cost of having a strong union, including:
- Educating new employees about their rights and the union;
- Subject experts to negotiate on equal terms with UC’s consultants to bargain the strongest contract possible;
- Legal and grievance representation costs to enforce our rights; and
- Staffing, rent, equipment, and supplies to support day-to-day costs.