Yesterday’s session started with UC finally agreeing with our proposal on ground rules for bargaining — this is a win and will ensure we have accessible bargaining sessions that allow open participation by Postdocs. We also made several substantive proposals to the UC to make our working conditions more equitable and accessible:
- Expand our paid family leave benefit to cover family caregiving in addition to parental leave, and expand the amount of paid family leave to twelve weeks.
- Establish a childcare subsidy.
- Guarantee disability accommodations for all Postdocs’ needs, not only the minimum standard set up by the ADA.
- Ensure all new Postdocs get a union orientation on their rights and benefits within their first month.
These proposals were informed by our conversations with members like you, our past experience as a union, and our extensive research into other union contracts. More details can be found in our proposal tracker.
UC’s team had prepared very little in advance, only coming with current contract language proposals on Waiver and No Strikes, and had a series of disrespectful responses to the Postdocs presenting our proposals.
Our next bargaining session will be Tuesday, August 17 from noon-2pm.
Member participation is critical to winning a strong contract.
- The bargaining committee holds weekly meetings that are open to all Postdoc members. There are lots of ways to get involved to fight for issues you’re passionate about! Click here to get involved!
- There’s one more session of the UAW Organizing for Power Summer School next Wednesday, August 18 – you can join even if you missed the previous sessions. Come and learn how to organize to win a great contract! Click here to RSVP!
Postdoc Bargaining Team and Alternates
Sarah Arveson, UC Berkeley
Gilbert Bernstein, UC Berkeley
Chris Hart, UC Davis
Adam Schneider, UC Irvine
Zachary Zeidler, UC Los Angeles
Lejla Medzikovic, UC Los Angeles
Brad Barker, UC Merced
Ingrid Padilla Espinosa, UC Merced
Tyler Bell, UC San Diego
Adam Caparco, UC San Diego
Jade Moore, UC San Francisco
Putu Ustriyana, UC San Francisco
Caitlin Taylor, UC Santa Barbara
Heda Agic, UC Santa Barbara
Jacob Porter, UC Santa Cruz
Jasmeet Dhaliwal, UC Santa Cruz
PS. To keep up with bargaining in real-time, follow us on Twitter @UAW5810!