- Improve Postdoc compensation, equity and inclusion policies, job security, and green transportation options
- End delays and start bargaining with Student Researchers United, the union democratically chosen by UC graduate student researchers
More signatures will make the case that these are important demands that all Postdocs stand behind, so please add your name today!
In yesterday’s bargaining session, we presented a group of proposals designed to promote equity/inclusion and job security, two key issues for these negotiations, both of which need major improvement to make UC a better research environment. Our proposals included:
- Increased rights for international scholars including UC covering all visa fees, time off for visa appointments, visa choice, and the ability to apply for UC sponsorship of green cards;
- Guaranteeing a respectful work environment by prohibiting abusive conduct and bullying and establishing a concrete resolution process.
- Peer-led trainings to stop sexual harassment, developed jointly by the union and UC, where Postdocs teach each other concrete skills for creating safer workplaces, interrupting harassment, and getting support
- Expansion of the President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program which has a strong track record of improving diversity in faculty hiring, and
- Increased job security via longer guaranteed appointments
UC’s counterproposals were few in number and mostly a snoozefest (few changes from current contract language). One exception was UC’s response to Union Access and Rights that made progress toward our goal that all new Postdocs get a union orientation on their rights and benefits within their first month at work.
You can read all the proposals we passed and UC’s proposals in our proposal tracker. We have two sessions scheduled next week on Monday 9/13 and Wednesday 9/15. We have now passed the majority of our initial proposals but UC has yet to make significant responses.
Member participation is critical to winning a strong contract. The bargaining committee holds weekly meetings that are open to all Postdoc members. There are lots of ways to get involved to fight for issues you’re passionate about! Click here to get involved!
Postdoc Bargaining Team and Alternates
Sarah Arveson, UC Berkeley
Gilbert Bernstein, UC Berkeley
Chris Hart, UC Davis
Adam Schneider, UC Irvine
Zachary Zeidler, UC Los Angeles
Lejla Medzikovic, UC Los Angeles
Brad Barker, UC Merced
Ingrid Padilla Espinosa, UC Merced
Tyler Bell, UC San Diego
Adam Caparco, UC San Diego
Jade Moore, UC San Francisco
Putu Ustriyana, UC San Francisco
Caitlin Taylor, UC Santa Barbara
Heda Agic, UC Santa Barbara
Jacob Porter, UC Santa Cruz
Jasmeet Dhaliwal, UC Santa Cruz