In this update:
- INCREDIBLE, HISTORIC unfair labor practice strike turnout!
- Bargaining update and new bargaining chart
- Media round-up: coverage in over 100 outlets!
Tens of thousands of Academic Student Employees, Academic Researchers, Postdocs and Student Researchers turned out for the first day of the unfair labor practices strike! Words don’t do justice. Please watch and share the video below!
Academic Workers shut down all 10 UC campuses
Somehow, UC’s bargaining team could only find two hours to meet today, and declined to schedule bargaining for tomorrow. Bargaining will resume on Wednesday. Academic Worker Bargaining Teams are present and ready to bargain around the clock, but UC continues to drag its feet.
The two hours during which UC and UAW bargained today were productive: Student Researchers reached tentative agreements on Union Access and Rights, and Union Security, ensuring that Student Researchers in their very first contract have strong rights to orientations and to join their union. We remain hopeful more progress will be made when bargaining resumes.
The University has also reiterated their proposal for mediation. But at this time, we feel strongly that the only way to reach fair agreements is for UC to simply stop its unlawful behavior, come to the bargaining tables in good faith, and make reasonable proposals. It is not surprising that UC is moving slowly as their negotiators assess the strength of our strike. As we saw today, the strike is powerful. Tomorrow, Academic Workers will return to the picket line and will continue to shut down UC until it ceases its unfair labor practices!
For a summary of the current state of bargaining, please see this chart which lays out our and UC’s outstanding bargaining proposals.
The strike was covered in over 100 news outlets. Read and share the highlights:
- Washington Post – In largest strike of 2022, California academic workers walk off job
- The New York Times – University of California Academic Employees Strike for Higher Pay
- ABC7 News – 48K UC academic workers ready to strike for better wages Monday across 10 campuses
- Wall Street Journal – University of California strike disrupts classes just weeks before finals
Let’s bring even more energy tomorrow, and until UC stops its unlawful behavior and starts negotiating in good faith. See you on the picket line!
UAW 5810 Academic Researcher Bargaining Team
UAW 2865 Academic Student Employee Bargaining Team
UAW 5810 Postdoc Bargaining Team
SRU-UAW Student Researcher Bargaining Team