We are ecstatic to announce today we reached a tentative agreement with the University of California and LBNL on adding LBNL Project Scientists to the Academic Researcher contract. This agreement is the culmination of years of hard work and advocacy by Project Scientists and allies. But the agreement is not official until it is ratified by a vote of LBNL Project Scientists.
The vote begins Monday, October 23rd at 9AM and will continue through Friday, October 27th at 5 PM.
This is a huge step forward that significantly improves Project Scientist working conditions, including:
- Pay increases averaging 9.8% by January 1st, 2024. Additional increases averaging 7.3% by October 2024 and 4.9% by October 2025, including guaranteed cost-of-living increases and merit-based increases
- Longer appointments — Minimum 1-year initial appointments and 2-3 year re-appointments after the first merit review
- A more fair and transparent process for merit increases and promotions.
- A clear path to PI status for LBNL Project Scientists
- Stronger protections against discrimination and sexual harassment, as well as including industry-setting protections against abusive conduct and bullying that are fully grievable and arbitable
- 24 days of vacation, 8 weeks of fully-paid family/medical leave, and many more new rights and benefits
How to Vote: The ratification vote will take place from Monday-Friday (October 23rd-27th) and will take place online. You will receive an email on Monday morning with a link to vote.
Contract information meeting: If you have questions or want more information on the tentative agreement, there will be a contract Information meeting on Tuesday, October 24th at 12PM. (Zoom link)
You can also contact us with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iris Young, LBNL Project Scientist, MBIB
Tommy Hendrickson, LBNL Project Scientist, EAEI