This year clearly showed why it’s so important that Postdocs are unionized. As the attacks from the new Administration rolled in—some expected, like proposed cuts to federal research funding, and [Read More…]
We believe a fair and humane immigration policy and the free and open exchange of people and ideas across borders are essential to both science and a just society.
One of the fundamental tenants of our union is to advocate at all levels for rights, policies, and opportunities which reflects these values. Recent actions include filing an amicus brief in the Supreme Court case challenging the Trump administration travel ban, as well as UAW 5810 President Anke Schennink filing a declaration in US District Court. In 2016, UAW helped win the Optional Practical Training STEM extension.
Please read on to learn more about what Postdocs are working on and how you can get involved. And If you have questions regarding you and/or your family’s immigration/visa status, please don’t hesitate to get in contact at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do everything we can to help.
- We declare #NoMuslimBanEver—Field Toolkit (from national coalition against the Muslim travel ban)
- The Ninth Circuit Banned Trump’s Ban Because it Hurts Science (Wired, 2/9/2017)
- Court Refuses to Reinstate Travel Ban, Dealing Trump Another Legal Loss (NY Times, 2/9/2017)
- L.A. federal judge orders a temporary halt to part of Trump’s travel ban (LA Times, 2/2/2017)
- Trump’s Immigration Ban Is Already Harming American Science (The Atlantic, 1/29/2017)
- How Trump’s travel ban could hurt science (Washington Post, 1/29/2017)
- State of Resistance: Labor Will Double Down in Trump Era (Capital and Main, 1/25/2017)
- Letter to the editor: UAW is a strong ally for international students and postdocs (Columbia Spectator, 12/5/2016)
- In Immigration Reform Debate, Labor Should Focus on Uniting the 99% (calitics, 7/29/2013)
- Labor and Immigrant Groups Can Move Forward Together (Huffington Post, 2/07/2013)
- The Track-Star Economy (New Yorker, 8/27/2012)
Science Has No Borders Profiles
International Postdocs’ contributions to science and research create progress, generate positive economic impacts for our state, and help us better understand the world. UC Postdocs will continue fighting for our right to live and work in the US free from discrimination and intolerance!
UCD Medical Center Postdocs met with Congresswoman Doris Matsui’s District Director, Sam Stefanki, to talk about research funding, visa and immigration issues, equity in academia, and the current tax proposal. [Read More…]
UAW 5810 strongly oppose the Trump administration’s blatantly xenophobic decision to end DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). This program allows undocumented immigrants who entered the United States as children [Read More…]
Earlier today, Postdocs from Berkeley and LBL had a very productive meeting with Rep. Mark DeSaulnier. Congressman De Saulnier was very supportive of our positions on research funding and immigration [Read More…]
Welcome to the next edition of our quarterly newsletter! From last month’s Science March to our latest Op-Eds in Nature and the SF Chronicle, we are excited to share all [Read More…]
One week after the March for Science, Postdocs once again demonstrated our determination to fight for a more just world by attending the People’s Climate Marches on Saturday, April 29th, [Read More…]
On April 22, UAW 5810 led delegations of hundreds of UC researchers up and down the state at local Marches for Science. Postdocs and other researchers joined the tens of [Read More…]
An op-ed written by Postdoc Union President Anke Schennink was published in Nature today! The op-ed lays out how the organizing tactics we utilized in our recent contract negotiations – [Read More…]
Today, UCSB Postdocs had a great meeting with Congressman Salud Carbajal. We delivered our open letter in response to the Trump administration’s immigration orders, and discussed issues of great importance [Read More…]
As part of of a coalition of of over 100 individuals from organized labor in California, Postdoc union leaders Fernanda Santos from Merced and Will Kelly from Davis met with [Read More…]